January 29, 2010

Unpredictable

Today was my first visit at the Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic. I've been relatively calm about everything so far, but my nerves were beginning to get to me as it got closer and closer to appointment time. I ran errands, did a bit of shopping for the girls at the Outlets, picked Hayley up from school and even bought some well deserved Godiva. The time finally arrived to leave, so Jonas and I left the girls with a sitter.

Shortly after we arrived the appointment began with an ultrasound and everything looked great. Although, again, he was highly uncooperative with the technician. Luckily, they had the images from my last scan and were able to look at those. He's right on track and weighs around three quarters of a pound. He also had his hands in his face the whole time, he's already trying to get away from the camera.

After the ultrasound, we met with the doctor to go over test results and where to go from there.
One interesting thing we learned is that Jonas' gene for this blood protein is double positive, so our children would inherit it no matter what. It's normal not to have any issues with the first pregnancy, but he was surprised there was no indication of these antibodies during my pregnancy with Ryan. I guess we were lucky.

He also explained that one of the anti-bodies my blood is creating is highly unpredictable and there's really no way of knowing what it will do. The titer tests they perform don't give the doctor's any indication of what could happen. So, it has to be monitored regularly. As of now, I have to be seen at least every two weeks for ultrasounds.

During ultrasound they watch the blood flow of a vessel in the brain. If it is slow/normal, then there's no indication of anemia in the baby. If the blood flow becomes faster, then the anti-bodies have attacked the babies blood, breaking down the red blood cells and causing anemia. Then they would go on to a amniocentesis, then a possible blood sample from the umbilical cord and the last would be a blood transfusion to the baby through the umbilical cord. There's also a chance, if the baby becomes too anemic, early delivery.

It's a lot of information to process. For now, we just have to wait and see how everything goes. There's nothing I can do, but wait until my next appointment. It's hard to deal with knowing that my own body can attack my baby. There's nothing to be done to prevent it. I'm scared and have a feeling that I won't make it to term. The doctor couldn't tell me whether I would or not.

That's what we know right now. Thankfully, he is healthy and growing right on track. He'll have to get used to these ultrasounds, because they'll be happening every other week. I'm dealing with everything the best I can. It's causing stress, so I am trying to make myself relax since that doesn't do me or the baby any good. It's so hard to not know what could or couldn't happen, it's all up to chance. I have faith that I can get through this and my baby will as well. I have faith in my doctors. And most importantly I have faith. I have hope. I pray.

Please, keep us in your prayers. Much love.


Baby boy Jack, 20 weeks.

1 comment:

Drea said...

I'll be praying for you and precious Jack daily. Just stay strong, Mama! God will bring you and your family through this. You just concentrating on the things you can control.

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.