June 15, 2010

Baby Jack



After the craziness of the day before and about five hours of sleep, it was time to get up. Hayley's fever had broke, but she needed to stay home from school and rest. Whatever she had the day before took a lot out of her. We were all ready to head to the hospital, we kissed the girls goodbye and left them with my Mom.

We arrived at the hospital at 7am and headed to triage to get checked in for my c-section. Everything went very smoothly, they got me on the monitor right away, I answered a bunch of questions for the nurse and then again for the anesthesiologist and got my IV placed. The nurse was awesome with the IV and didn't blow my vein like the nurse I had with Ryan. We also had a student nurse shadowing us; he was a little nervous at first, but loosened up as things proceeded. Soon it was time to head to the recovery room and get ready to go into the operating room. My OB was already there and came in to greet us. After he left us, I had to drink this horrible liquid to neutralize anything in my stomach. I don't know how to describe it, it's like a sour lemonade that is a little sweet. Best taken down like a shot. It made me incredibly nauseous. Uhh!

The time came for me in head into the OR and have my spinal placed. Now this is nerve racking, but the anesthesiologist was awesome and it was pretty quick and painless. It's funny how fast it hits and such a weird feeling. You can feel yourself try to move something, but nothing happens. It's also another thing that made me nauseated, but again my anesthesiologist was awesome and there with a tray. Bummer I had to meet my baby with funky breathe.
Soon things were in place and Jonas came in to join me after my OB was all set. My OB is like a legend, all the nurses love him and talk about how smart he is and fast he is in surgery. Don't get me wrong, he is awesome and we wouldn't have my last two babies without him. It just always cracks me up to hear other people talk about him. My OB got started, all while telling a story about me selling his daughter her crib at Babies R' Us and other various tales. Minutes later, it was time, it's a boy and one of the best sounds ever: Jack's first cry. I looked over to see him; since everyone was telling me how beautiful he was and all the black hair he had, but the nurses were kinda in the way. I was also trying to tell Jonas to take pictures since he seemed to be in some kind of a daze while looking a Jack. I couldn't really talk all that well, I'm not sure why, something to do with the surgery and all. But the anesthesiologist heard me and told him for me.

Finally, they handed Jack over to Jonas and he brought him over. Uh, these moments are so hard to describe, but I was in love. He looked just like his sisters and had a full head of black hair. He was so beautiful and he was mine. Jack Brady was born at 9:14am, weighed in at 7lbs. 3oz. and was 20 inches long. I still forget how small they are, it's simply amazing. Once in recovery, I was able to nurse. He latched on right away and nursed for nearly an hour. I was also thankful for some ice chips since that gross taste of vomit still lingered, sorry it was a highlight of my recovery. The student nurse even fed them to me since I was busy nursing and Jonas was calling family. When I was able to wiggle my toes they brought me up to my room.

Since Hayley had to wait another day to visit, Jonas went home to stay with the girls so my Mom could come see Jack. The student nurse even stopped by to congratulate me and thank me for allowing him to follow us through everything. My Mom and I spent the afternoon together hanging out and gazing at Jack. As much as I wanted the girls there, it was also nice to have the quiet and rest. The girls came to visit the next day and were in awe of their little brother. They both held him and loved on him. Ryan wasn't too happy with me being away from home; it made me sad, but I knew she'd get over it soon.

As for all the issues with my pregnancy, all the monitoring was well worth it. They tested Jack's cord blood and found my anti-bodies attached to his red blood cells. So, he had inherited Jonas' blood proteins. He was at a much higher risk for jaundice. My poor little man has had four heel pricks in his first week of life! Jack's levels were always right at the borderline, not high enough for the lights, but high enough for constant testing. It was worrisome seeing the whites of his eyes tinged yellow. It finally seems to be clearing up though.
At 8 days old, Jack is doing great. He gained all the weight he lost at the hospital and is above his birth weight. He even sleeps pretty well, only waking every 3 hours for feedings at night. He's a nursing champ. The girls are doing well, Hayley and Ryan both ask to hold him all the time. They are so in love with him and always concerned when he begins to cry. They are good little mommas. It was wonderful to have my Mom here with us. The girls love her so much and my Mom had a great time spoiling them. I was so glad she was here for Jack's arrival. Jonas is a proud Daddy and has been awesome while I recover. Jonas and I are both so thrilled with Jack, he has completed our family.







2 comments:

Drea said...

I love birth stories! And yours with Jack is so sweet! I'm so happy for you guys!

Sadie said...

I keep meaning to post on your fb wall but I'll just say here - Congratulations! Jack is so cute and look at that hair!

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.