August 9, 2010

Six Years



Six years ago, I woke up early in the morning to discover my water had broke. Well, I wasn't sure if it was my water for sure, I couldn't have possibly...no...right? Still unsure if it was baby time; Jonas and I left for the hospital, not entirely sure what to expect. The contractions stopped once we got to the hospital, but sure enough, my water had broke. It was time. It was a long day, little progress was made and concerns came. The decision for a c-section was made, but before they could get me into the ER my temperature spiked to 104.3 degrees. It was a good thing that I had been prepped for surgery, because the need became that much more urgent. At 7:17p.m. Hayley Jolie was born. She was tiny, weighing in at only 5lbs 15.5oz and 19inches long. She was beautiful. I didn't get to spend too much time with her before she was whisked away to the nursery.

I spent two or so hours in recovery without her. And without Jonas for a good portion, he was taking Hayley to the nursery to meet the rest of the family. I was shaking from the anesthesia and chills from my fever. I was on pain killers and an antibiotic for my infection. I was completely exhausted physically and emotionally. Nothing had gone the way I had hoped. Jonas finally came to be with with me and told me they had given her a bath and that my sister picked out a hat for her. When I was finally sent to my room, my family was waiting for me. They were all so excited and talked about her, about my baby I hadn't even held yet. A nurse came, pushing in a bassinet with Hayley swaddled up inside. She handed her to me and I was finally at peace. The feelings of worry, pain and disappointment disappeared as I starred at the baby I held in my arms. My baby, my Hayley.

She was so tiny and so beautiful. I was in awe of her. Even though things had not gone as I had planned, it was all okay. She was there, healthy and in my arms. That night I became a mother. I said it that night, she was the best thing I had ever done. Hard to believe that was six years ago.

Today is Hayley's 6th birthday. Hayley is an amazing little girl. She has a passion for learning and things just seem to come naturally to her. She love her glasses, even though she misses her beloved red ones. She also loves games and anything artistic. She's inquisitive, thoughtful and determined. She loves tea parties. She can also be dramatic at times and loves to get her way whenever possible. Like me, she loves chocolate. Like Jonas, she loves cereal and not that healthy stuff. She loves to dance to Guitar Hero when Jonas plays. She's a wonderful big sister to Ryan and Jack. She's kind. She's a wonderful friend and doesn't like to be cruel, even when taunted. She will start first grade in a few weeks and is already looking forward to the school year. She's growing up so fast.

I love watching the young lady she is becoming and am thankful everyday that she is my daughter. She can be a little feisty at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so thankful she came into my life because she made me a mother. Something I had always dreamed of, she made a reality. Even with all the craziness that comes with being a parent, I wouldn't have it any other way. At times, it's still hard for me to believe that it's been six years. It's been six wonderful years. Hayley was the first part at making my family complete. Happy Birthday to my Hayley-bug. Thank you for making me a mother. You are loved more than you will ever know.

1 comment:

Drea said...

Awww! So sweet! Happy birthday to Hayley from the Braddock's!

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.