September 15, 2010

Craftiness

Tomorrow my baby girl, Ryan, will be starting her first year of preschool.  Tear.  I will most likely be a little emotional tomorrow, to say the least.  We went to her open house last week to meet her teacher and the rest of her classmates.  She was a very shy, but did enjoy sitting at the table and drawing with markers.  She was excited about getting her name to put on the wall.  At the open house we received a tote bag for her school papers.  They don't care for back packs there and provide the kids with the totes.  They're just plain canvas totes.  When Hayley went to preschool there, we were lucky enough to visit Colorado before she began and my friends, Martha and Jennifer, made up Hayley's tote bag.  It was awesome, as you can see from the picture below. 


Hayley's tote
Well, since there was no visit to Colorado, it was a little more difficult to have Martha make me another tote.  So, I thought to myself; I can do this.  My sister had a sewing machine, we can figure this out!  Ryan told me she wanted yellow (her favorite color) and flowers.  I took Ryan to Walmart to pick out some fabric, ribbon and buttons (her request.)  No ruffles for Ryan's bag, that was a bit much for me to figure out.  Plus, Ryan really dug that polka-dot ribbon.  And thank goodness for the sewing ladies at Walmart that pointed me in the right direction with the white Cotton fabric and that double sided sticky stuff.  They were very helpful! 

My sister, Dana, came over with her sewing machine and the craftiness began!  Dana and I examined Hayley's bag and got to work.  An hour or so later, we finished all the cutting, ironing, sewing, more cutting, more sewing and more ironing.  Finally, we had a bag, just no name on it because Walmart was seriously lacking on the fabric pen selection.  And I hate puffy paint.  Don't know why, just not my thing. 

I ran to craft store today for some fabric pens and glue for the buttons.  I finished it up and Ryan was very happy with her new tote.  Although she did request more buttons.  Instead, we used them for her first project.  (Picture below.)  Ryan's preschool tote bag was a success!  Check it out!
 
Before...
Pinning the sides...
Aunt Dana sewing away...
Almost finished...
Fabric Pens bled a little more than I would have liked, but I'm happy.  And buttons...
All finished, ready for preschool!
And the rest of the buttons!
I still can't believe tomorrow is Ryan's first day of preschool.  I'm still not sure how she's going to handle it just yet.  She's tells me that she is excited, but I'm not sure if she's going to realize that I'm leaving her there for a little while.  I just keep telling myself I have to be strong and not be sad about it.  She'll have lots of fun there and make new friends.  It's a great school and she's in good hands.  Check back tomorrow for pictures and my over loaded emotional-wreck-of-a-self tomorrow.  And wish my baby girl luck!



P.S.  I think this might be a future give away...


5 comments:

Drea said...

What a cute idea! Oddly enough, I just decorated a tote bag last night for the girls' church stuff (I'm always scrambling Sunday morning to find paper and crayons so now we have a bag with drawing items that will stay in the car!). But I just did iron-on decals. I never even considered sewing fabric on it! Now I'm mildly disappointed in my end result... =)

tweetybug3 said...

Lacy, I'm impressed! You were a women of little faith (in craftiness) and now look what you've created. It's really cute. Job well done!

Joe and Alexis Unnerstall said...

Awe!!! I love it!!!! You and Auntie Dana did a great job!! Hope Ryan is excited to show it off at school! Hang in there, you can do this Mom!!! Looking forward to the next post about her first day!! Thinking of you all!!! xoxo

Cari said...

ok so now your going to make keelie one for me right? ha ha!!! That is really cute!

Anonymous said...

Them are some pretty nice totes you made there. I am very impressed on the end result. Kudos to you and Auntie Dana

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.