October 7, 2010

Not Cool

Today started out like any other Thursday.  Both of the girls had school today.  It was the first time I had to drive them both to school.  So, since Ryan's preschool starts twenty minutes before Hayley's school, we headed to preschool first.  As soon as Ryan was settled, we dashed off to Hayley's school.  I am happy to say we pulled up to her school five minutes before the bell rang, yeah!  Poor Baby Jack had a rough night and was fussy; my errands would have to wait, so we headed home. 

I pulled into my driveway and checked an email on my Blackberry.  I happened to glance in my mirror and saw my neighbor in my driveway.  I got out of my car to chat with her.  She looked a bit stressed and informed me that some one had shot up her house last night.  At first, I didn't think I had heard her right.  I must have sounded like an idiot when I asked if it was with a gun.  I learned that there were five shots fired at her home.  I saw the bullet hole in an upstairs window.  Thankfully no one was hurt.  I asked who and why anyone would do this to them.  They are good people; a Navy family, three great kids, normal people.  Hayley and their middle child are the same age and play together nearly every day.

No one heard anything.  I was even awake when this happened, I was up with Jack.  I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.  No car, no gunfire.  Nothing.  My dog didn't hear anything and she barks at everything.  I can knock on the table and she will freak out.  The retired couple next door didn't hear anything either.  And their dog didn't let on to anything happening outside.  That's just to surreal to me. 

Then I learned something that I found shocking and saddening.  It wasn't meant for them.  It was meant for our other neighbor.  I will not speak poorly of these people, because I don't know what is going on with them.  They're nice people, but are currently experiencing hard times.  They also have a daughter that has a knack for getting into trouble.  I will leave it at that.  Apparently, the shooting was some kind of message for her.  Again, I don't know what is going on, but this scares me.  For one, the shooter apparently didn't know exactly which house was her's and chose wrongly.  Secondly, both of their homes and mine are designed the same.  It could have just as easily been my house.  And finally, the one window with the bullet hole is the same window at my house belonging to my girls' room.

This whole incident scares me.  The thought that my kids could have been hurt sickens and angers me.  The thought that my neighbor's could have been hurt also angers me.  I feel badly for the intended target, but I'm also angry.  I can't help it.  Hopefully, this will enlighten her and she will shape up.  I pray she doesn't simply shrug this off.  And the person that did this, is a jerk and a coward.  What the hell is wrong with this person?  They weren't even sure of which house it was and shot into an innocent person's home.  They could have hurt or even killed somebody.

I've lived in my neighborhood for a little over four years now.  Everything is seemingly normal on my quiet little culdesac.  Everyone is friendly to one another.  Neighbors mow each other's lawns.  We share baked goods.  We're not entirely close, but we help when we can.  And like most people faced with these situations, I never expected to see anything like this where I lived.  I pray that this doesn't happen again, or anything worse.  I pray for my poor neighbors that have had their home and sense of safety violated.  I pray for our little culdesac.  This simply is not cool.
                    

2 comments:

Drea said...

Oh my gosh! That is so scary! I can't even imagine how you must have felt. I'll be praying for that situation. Yikes!

♥Cari♥ said...

Omg - I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with that. We had some really shady neighbors - we live in a duplex. I was terrified of that kind of thing happening. Have the police caught the person?

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.