November 26, 2010

Blog Challenge - Day 25 - A First

This is a day late, but yesterday was Thanksgiving and I was hanging with my family.  And then, after all the kids were asleep in bed, the XBox was calling my name.  Fable III was on and before I knew it, it was midnight.  I was tired, but not too tired for a quick midnight Black Friday deal online.  And then I went to bed, finally.

I had a hard time trying to figure out what "first" to write about.  In honor of Thanksgiving, I picked my first solo Thanksgiving.  It was right before Jonas and I had gotten married.  My parents were out of town and so were Jonas'.  It was just going to be us.  And another friend we had invited over since his parents were also out of town.

Turkeys were huge and intimidating to me, so I bought a chicken.  I also made bread, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and pie.  Everything went really well, my chicken turned out well and so did the rest of the meal.  I missed my family a lot, it was my first major holiday without them.  It was weird.  Even with that, I was with Jonas and that was enough.  We had a lot of fun.  We spent the evening watching TV and playing video games.

I learned then I wouldn't be able to spend all the holidays with my parents, it became a reality that day.  It was a first for me.  Even though I missed them, I spent that holiday with my soon-to-be-husband, at the time, and a good friend.  We had a great time.  I was thankful for that.  I was still with people I cared about and that was what mattered.  Now, my family lives far from me, my husband and our children.  This time of year is hard at times, because I wish they were closer.  I wish they were able to spend the holidays with my children.

That first solo Thanksgiving was hard, a little dose of reality.  I was growing up and leading my own life.  And it was okay.  I still had Jonas with me and we had a great day.  I learned then that you have to be thankful for what you have and not dwell on what you don't. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.