So, you know when you tell your kids not to touch the electrical outlets?! And you put those outlet covers on your outlets to protect your children?! There's an excellent reason for this. I learned this today, first hand. My right hand, actually.
My daughter's Nintendo DS needed to charge and I went to put it on the charger. The charger wasn't plugged in, so I needed to plug it in first. The charger is one of those where the prongs fold into the charger. I was having a little trouble getting it into the outlet for some reason. And then...
my hand slipped...
my fingers hit the prongs.... (that were partially inserted into the outlet)
It hurt, a lot. I felt the shock go halfway up my arm before I pulled away. Again, it hurt. My hand felt weird for the rest of the day. It still does. My husband thought it was funny, jerk.
I did get the charger plugged in, carefully. I've been a little fearful of contact with outlets all day. So if you've ever wondered about shocking yourself, it's possible. Very much so. It's not hard to do. And it hurts.
Oh, and if you have small children, make sure you have your outlets covered. That is all.