January 13, 2011

Headache

A lot has happened since I last posted to this blog.  And it all began with a headache and a stressful week.  I've been having those [headaches] a lot lately.  I used to suffer from migraines a lot as a teenager, but then as I got into my twenties they became less frequent.  And soon, no more.  Until now, thankfully not so frequent.  But a migraine, is a migraine.  No fun whatsoever.   

However, this last headache was much different.  It came suddenly and without warning really.  I don't want to go into too many details.  I will leave that to your imagination.  All I will say is that the headache began in the wee hours of Thursday night, I was not asleep.  Neither was my husband.

And then BAM!  If I had been standing, I would have fallen over screaming from the pain.  I hate to imagine what would have happened if I had been driving.  The pain was so sudden, throbbing and just plain awful.  I had never experienced anything like it before.  We debated over calling 911, looking back now, we probably should have called for an ambulance.  I just laid as still as I could, took an ibuprofen and laid a cool cloth on my face.  And prayed.

The ibuprofen barely took the edge off and I was still in pain that morning.  But I'm a mom and my girls had school.  And it was my work day at Hayley's school.  Jonas could have went, but I was more worried about being home along with that headache.  So I went to school and worked with a class of first graders.  It wasn't so bad, Hayley's teacher told me to just do the busy work and let the other moms deal with the kids.  And thankfully it was only a half-day.  I called my doctor as soon as I got home. 

They advised me to go to walk-in clinic since they were booked.  I loathe that place.  But I went, because my headache was still there.  Still awful.  Not as awful as when it had started, but awful nonetheless.  I went and was happy to see that there was little to no wait.  And the ARNP that I saw was really nice and genuine.  I told her about my headache and shared the uncomfortable details of its origin.  She immediately sent me to get a CT scan. 

So, after dropping the girls off with our friends, we (Jonas, myself and Baby Jack) were off to the medical office where the CT's are done.  The CT was a little nerve racking, but quick.  I was in so much pain, I don't think I realized how worried I was about it.  And thankfully, it was clear.  I was sent home to rest with my meds.

I spent most of my weekend in bed, my headache remained.  It's severity lessened, but it still lingered.  In fact, I still have a headache as I write this.  I went back to the doctor earlier this week.  He blamed it on a migraine, although I had no headache before this particular episode.  Or it could have been high blood pressure.  I am now supposed to monitor my blood pressure when I have a headache.

I honestly don't know.  I'm afraid it will happen again.  It was the worse headache I have ever had in my life.  And I am not comfortable with the fact that it's never really gone away since then.  I thought maybe it was due to all of the stress of last week, but I feel like I am in a good place right now.  Not much stress, no need for the constant headache.  I'm at a loss.         

1 comment:

AlessandraH said...

Headaches suck! I get daily headaches, but nothing like what you had to go through. I am so sorry! If you are still concerned and worried, maybe get a second opinion to lessen your fear and worry. Whatever it is, I hope it goes away and you feel better soon.

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.