March 17, 2011

Parking Spot


It's obvious, right?  The sign is clearly visible and there's no arguing that this spot is reserved.  And it's mine.

This spot is the closest parking spot to the entrance at Ryan's preschool.  Yes, preschool.  In the beginning of the year, the two closest spots are auctioned off as a fundraiser for the school.  This year, I told Jonas we were going to buy one.  It would makes things so much easier since preschool was the first stop before taking Hayley to school.  And we had to unload the baby.  This spot would make all that a little easier.

So, at open house, I bid on it.  In fact, I was the only one that did bid on the spot for the 2-day classes.  I won, at a bargain.  Yeah me!  Although I was fully prepared to bid more.

The school year began and I was so happy with my parking spot.  It's the little things.  But then, people were parking in my spot.  MY SPOT!  I would let them know, politely.  Usually, the same person didn't park there more than once.  We did inform the director of our frustration and she put the policy in the news letter a couples times.  And soon enough, it was no longer an issue.

Until today.

I was running late.  These headaches can leave me exhausted sometimes, so I haven't been waking up a early as I would like too.  I was getting the kids together downstairs and I realized I hadn't packed Hayley's lunch.  I packed it in record time and we were out the door.  Today was one of those days where I was thankful for that spot, I could run Ryan in quickly, leave her with her teacher and get back out to my car to take Hayley to school.  That thankfulness was replaced with frustration and annoyance when I pulled into the parking lot and found my spot occupied.  I was also fairly certain that that person had parked in my spot before. 

I was already late, so I waited.  I parked as close as I could and waited for the parent to leave.  Because today, I was going to say something.  Maybe I was more annoyed because of the headache or because I was late, I don't know.  But seriously, the sign is pretty damn obvious and if that person just thought it would be okay once, it wasn't.  It's rude.

I caught the guy as he was walking back out to his car and motioned towards the sign.  I then said, as nicely as I could, that the parking spot was mine and not to park there again.  I have a three kids, including a baby that I have to haul out of my car.

I was going to say something else, but he cut in.  He apologized and said it wouldn't happen again.  I think he was shocked that I had I confronted him, I don't know.  He seemed a little off guard.  Oh well.  I didn't say anything else and just nodded.  And then went on to take Ryan into class. 

Honestly, I've been nice about it all year long.  Too nice.  The sign isn't small.  It's there.  The policy has been mentioned time and time again in the newsletter, handbook and beginning of the year information.  What gets me about the whole thing is that it's rude.  I expected it in the beginning of the year with the new families at the school and I didn't let it bother me too much.  But some of these people that have parked in my spot, don't care and are simply jerks. 

Today, I said something.  I had to do it.  And I'm glad that I did.  It's my spot! 


    

1 comment:

Drea said...

Good for you! I'm sure I would have seethed and made myself sick fuming about it but not been brave enough to confront the person. Kudos for standing up for yourself--and your spot!

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought!!!

 
Content © Lacy Richmeier. All Rights Reserved | Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.